Monday, September 19, 2011

Derby!

We ventured out Saturday for the kids' first demolition derby and what an exciting derby it was! Belle was thrilled to see all the cars smashing together and got to see the firemen at work several times. There were multiple car fires (the largest I have ever seen at a derby) with one car catching another on fire and in another heat, yet a third car catching on fire! There was a truck heat (which I have also never seen before) as well as a stock car heat. It was very exciting! Belle also got to see a helicopter pretty close up because a little boy fell off the grand stands and had to be air lifted out... I do not know what happened to him, but it really made me watch Belle's every move to make sure she wouldn't fall off the stands (even though we were only a couple rows up, it would still cause some damage to fall for a little one!) I hope that he is doing fine.
George was not such a fan at first... He was already sleepy and I changed him before the derby started and the bathroom stalls crashing shut sent him into meltdown mode, followed shortly after by the announcer coming over the speakers VERY loudly... Luckily, he calmed down enough to eat and then the noise of the cars racing put him right to sleep. He was a trooper! Especially for such a cold night!
I didn't think to bring the camera, so I, unfortunately, do not have any pictures of the kiddos watching their first demo derby... They were looking awefully cute in their winter hats though! :)

No comments: